There’s more than one way to lobby for the things we care about. One is to use the power of social media to move people to action. We challenge you to advocate online for the future you want to see in 2022!
- Learn about our campaigns: Basic Needs, Cash Assistance, Safety & Civil Rights, Dental Care, and Removing Barriers to Re-Entry
- Record a short video (60 seconds or less!) with a message to your Washington state lawmakers
- Share your video on your social media and tag Poverty Action OR email your videos/social media posts to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your videos and social media posts, include your name, neighborhood, and legislative district.
How to make an advocacy video
- Decide what you want to say. You can use the prompts below to form your message. Remember to include your name and district or neighborhood!
- Prepare to record. Make sure you are facing a light source, that you are in the frame, and you are holding your cellphone horizontally.
- Record your video. Take a deep breath, press record, and speak your message to your lawmaker.
How to post on social media
- Log into your Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and upload your video.
- Link your post with Poverty Action. Tag Poverty Action in your post and use the hashtag #WALeg
- Write your post, use hashtags, and tag your lawmakers.
- Post your video!
What would it mean for your family if you could access TANF cash assistance for longer?
OR “If all of my family’s basic needs were met, we could…”
Think about cash payments you have been eligible for and received, like the Child Tax Credit or stimulus checks. What did the extra money mean to you and your family?
“Unrestricted cash assistance has helped me/my family to…”
Safety & Civil Rights
Imagine a community that’s safe for everyone. What does that look like?
How has lack of access to dental care impacted you or your loved ones?
OR Dental therapy means having a provider who looks like you, is part of your community, speaks your language, and shares your culture. How would a dental therapist change your experience getting dental care?